Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Star Wars!





I might not be a Star Wars fanatic, but I've always loved the series. So when I heard Topps was putting out a card set featuring sketch cards I was pumped... especially when I heard Michael Duron was included in the set. It doesn't get much better than Star Wars and Michael Duron for a collector like me. I ordered a case and waited patiently.. okay, maybe not patiently, but I waited. Finally I started seeing case breaks on Scoundrel, so I knew the time was getting close. Then I got the call... my case was in. I had a game plan for my case- as I opened the packs I chanted the names of sketch artists I wanted to get.. "Duron- Plunkett-Pence- Bellinger" (no offense to any other sketch artists, but those were my "Big 4"). I tore into my first box and hit my first sketch pretty quickly... an Animator sketch by Matt Gaser.. it was sweet (picture enclosed)! I also noticed an unusual amount of cel cards, so I thought "maybe it's a hot box". Eight cel cards and 2 numbered parallel later I got to the bottom of the box and hit a second sketch- an awesome Rich Woodall Padme color sketch (right down to her green eyes). I was off and running. Box #2 brought me an awesome Jason Sobol Ahsoka color sketch, and box #3 another sweet Ahsoka color sketch by Jamie Snell. By this time I'm starting to wonder if I'm dreaming... 3 boxes and 4 incredible sketches. Box #4 produced my first b/w sketch, but it was a sweet Ventress sketch by Don Pedicini Jr.. box #5 another b/w sketch, but it was a very nice Obi-Wan sketch by Chris Trevas. Box #6 was a dud... bummer. Box #7 was another Ventress b/w sketch- this one by Howard Shum. Down to my last box.. #8.. I kept chanting the "Big 4" names- hoping, but not really believing I'd ever pull one. My stretches of good luck opening cards are few and far between. I finished one row and was almost done with the other row thinking I had gotten another dud box when I got my last sketch... and I was stunned. I could hardly believe the card in my hand was a sketch because it looked so amazing (picture enclosed). A Killian Plunkett! I was blown away. As much as I wanted to keep the Plunkett I figured it would easily pay for my case, so I posted it on the Scoundrel Message boards and took offers. I ended up accepting an offer from Grendel4 that included cash and.... a Michael Duron Clone Wars sketch (pic enclosed). I've picked up a few other Duron Clone Wars sketches, so I'll post them when I get them. As for now, thanks for reading... Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey There, I noticed you found a card of mine I did for Topps:) My name is Matt Gaser and I worked as a concept artist for the Clone Wars animated film and TV Series. If you want to see more of my work check out my blog at mattgaser.wordpress.com you can also find my website at www.mattgaser.com

Thanks again for showing interest in my work and check out the film this weekend.

locoduckfan said...

Matt- that was the first sketch I pulled out of my Clone Wars case and I was just amazed by it- it was stunning! I've seen a few of your other sketches and I think you do great work. Thanks so much for checking out my blog. I'll be sure to check out your blog and your website.... Dave