Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Good Week




Not even tearing all of the ligaments in my right thumb (ouch.. it really hurt) could stop this week from being a good one. So many good things happened, including picking up two more of Mike's sketches.. an awesome Oliphant sketch that I got from Jonas (Bombadillio on the Scoundrel Art message boards), and a sweet Treebeard sketch that I picked up on Ebay. I love the detail on both, from the smile on the face of the guy riding on the Oliphant's back, to the "punt" and the x'd out eyes of the Orc being punted. Your work always amazes me Mike!
Heroes Volume 2 came out this week, and I've already seen some awesome pieces of Mike's handiwork both on Ebay and on Scoundrel Art posts. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a few. Since I pre-ordered a case of Star Wars Clone Wars and can't afford to buy cases of every product that comes out, I was still able to buy four boxes of Heroes Volume 2 on Ebay from Craig- ebay id: dreamjoey, one of my favorite sellers. I bought my first case of Indiana Jones KOTCS from him, and he's great to deal with. I had been reading the Scoundrel Art message boards on the Heroes 2 case breaks, and people were freaking out about how bad their breaks were.. some cases only giving up 5 hits where 9 were "guaranteed" by Topps (7 boxes with one hit, and one "hot box" with two hits). I also saw some people were getting 12-14 hits in a case, which I thought had to be a typo.. that just doesn't normally happen in Topps products. I figured I'd land on the short end of the stick.. I usually do when it comes to breaking products. I got my boxes 2 days after the release (fast shipping by dreamjoey) and tried the first box.. and got two hits- an autograph and a sketch card! I almost fell out of my chair. Me getting a hot box, who'd have thunk it? lol. So I opened the 2nd box.. and got two more hits- a costume card and an autograph! Whoa. So on to the 3rd box.. and two more hits- an autograph and a cool Jeff Chandler sketch card. Now I'm thinking, I'm either dreaming or I'm in the Twilight Zone, because this just doesn't happen to me. So on to the 4th box.. in which I pulled an autograph. Almost anticlimactic and almost disappointing, but with 7 hits in 4 boxes I was on cloud 9.
I hope all the readers out there had a great 4th of July weekend. My special someone (Mandy) has kept a smile on my face all week (one of the biggest reasons the week has been so GOOD), so thus continues my good week... Thanks for reading.. Dave

No comments: